CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 28, 2008

Jury Duty!

I was called to jury duty for the first time this week. Let me just tell you, my week did not unfold as I expected it to. I really thought I would show up be questioned and released. Not so much!
I stayed from 8:00 - 1:30 on Tuesday and was asked to come back Wednesday. I come back and was chosen to be a juror. We had to hurry and get to the court at 9:00. They did not start anything until 11:00. We were just standing in the hall. Finally, they begin. It was a custody case involving young children. I didn't think hearing strangers talk about their problems would bother me. I was really upset about this family's situation. At some points I had to physically keep my mouth shut!
I know the parents were not capable of thinking of others but because they could not be mature adults their children, my personal children, husband, school children and the family of 11 other jurors were impacted. We stayed until 8:00 at night on Wednesday hearing testimony. Then, on Thursday we stayed until 11:30 PM to finish hearing the case and to deliberate! I had no idea courts had these kind of hours! I didn't get home until midnight and I then had to be at work in the morning.
It was a very interesting experience. I learned a lot. I even got to be head juror! Pretty cool!
I am also very glad I can't be called again for 2 years!

0 comments: